IT Security Specialist Job Description
IT Security Specialist is responsible for performing multiple security risk and vulnerability assessments, as well as operational projects and functions including monitoring of the network intrusion detection system.
- 1) Assess risk, evaluate security , identify vulnerabilities and corrective actions, and review for compliance with security policies and practices.
- 2) Assist in monitoring and maintaining network and/or host intrusion detection systems, and participate as needed in security event response processes.
- 3) Review and approve firewall, VPN and other security changes.
- 4) Participate in the selection and implementation of technologies and security solutions.
- 5) Coordinate/oversee third party security reviews, penetration testing, and consulting projects as necessary.
Required General Skills
- 1) Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including technical/non-technical communication, documentation and presentations.
- 2) Ability to assess risk and provide innovative solutions balancing security and business requirements.
- 3) Strong planning, organization and time management skills with the ability to handle multiple projects without direct supervision.
- 4) Ability to work independently, to follow a work plan, meet project milestones, and interact with various levels of management.
- 5) Energetic team player with strong initiative, team orientation, and excellent problem solving skills.
Degree Preference: Bachelor’s or greater degree preferred, emphasis in Information Systems/Computer Science.
Certification Requirement: Network or security -related certifications a plus (ex., CISSP, etc.).